- Natural Stone
- Porcelain Tile
- Ceramic Tile
- Glass Tile
- Engineered Stone
- Other Materials
by Cymat Technologies
Alusion, an extruded aluminum foam, serves as both an architectural material and a design element. Bubbles appear to be frozen in the seemingly molten surface, while varying panel thicknesses dictate the degree of sound absorption. Produced in Mississauga, Ontario, Alusion meets the requirements set by the LEED building rating system and may be used to earn LEED MR Credit 4.1, 4.2, 5.1 and 5.2. At the end of its product life cycle, Alusion may be recycled.
For LEED submittals, Credit MR 4.1/MR4.2, Manufacturer's Product Data indicating the following:
- Percentages by weight of post-consumer and pre-consumer recycled content.
- Indicate total weight of products provided.
- Include statement indicating costs for each product having recycled content.
Patterns + Sizes
Sheets may be specified as 1/2", 1" or 1.7" thick. Alusion is produced to order in sheet sizes up to 4'x12'. Standard sheet size is 4'x8' and is available in five styles:
- Small Cell - Natural: Higher density sheet with a shiny, shimmering silver skin featuring a unique waved pattern on the surface.
- Small Cell - Open on One Side: Similar to the Small Cell Natural, but with cells open on one side.
- Large Cell - Natural: Large bubbles are frozen in place along the surface of the material. Large Cell sheets are of a lighter density. With force, the bubbles can be collapsed, so it is recommended that this material be out of the reach. Large Cell sheets are particularly suited for interior applications.
- Large Cell - Open on One Side: This is a low density material resulting in large, deep open cells. With open cells and a mostly closed back, this version is best for sound absorption.
- Large Cell - Open on Both Sides: This is a low density material resulting in large, deep, open cells. Suitable for semi translucent applications.
The manufacturer holds 50-100 sheets of their most commonly ordered materials in stock inventory. For these materials, delivery within 5-10 business days is possible. The standard lead time for all other orders is 4-6 weeks. Quick Ship Inventory: AL-FG-0.5-SM, AL-FG-0.5-SM-1S, AL-FG-0.5-LG, AL-FG-0.5-LG-2S, AL-FG-1.0-LG-1S, AL-FG-1.0-2S, AL-FG-1.7-LG-2S.
Alusion may be used for interior and exterior walls, showroom displays, ceiling tiles, signage and furniture applications. It is important to note that the material is very sharp, and may need to be placed behind glass or another translucent material. Although not suitable for flooring applications, it has been used in auto showrooms as it is strong enough to support a vehicle.
Installation + Maintenance
Panels should be stored in a dry area, and in the original packaging until installed. Flat storage is recommended. Do not store other materials on top of panel containers. For wall cladding applications, panels may be installed several ways.
- Formed and keyed lock channel welded to the back of the panels. The opposing keyed piece should be attached to the wall and the panels slid into place.
- Formed and keyed horizontal interlocking Z-clips welded to the back of the panels. The opposing Z-clip piece should be attached to the wall and the panels slid into place.
- Industrial brackets should be mounted to the wall. Panels are mounted to the bracket using machine screws.
For any other applications, please consult with your Stone Source Representative.
Cleaning methods for Alusion panels will vary depending on whether it is an indoor or outdoor application. For indoor applications, the sheet may be vacuumed using a dusting attachment. Add a gentle pressure to push the brush bristles inside the large cells in order to knock loose trapped dust and dirt. Do not push or pull the vacuum across the panel with excessive force. If a vacuuming proves to be insufficient, the panel should be washed with a pH balanced detergent diluted (1:20) using a soft bristled brush. A rinse may be required to prevent detergent residue.
For outdoor applications, clean the panels on mild or cloudy days using a pH balanced detergent diluted with water (1:20). Scrub Small Cell sheets using a brush, sponge or plastic scoring pad. Large Cell sheets should be cleaned using a soft bristled brush. Upon completion, surfaces should be rinsed thoroughly.
In extreme cases, the pH balanced solution may be replaced with an Acetic acid solution in concentrations ranging from 5% by volume to 20% by volume. Under no circumstances should alkali products be used to clean aluminum. Alkali materials react with aluminum and will accelerate the oxidation process, causing the product to darken.
|Small Cell - Natural||Small Cell - Open on One Side||Large Cell - Natural||Large Cell - Open on One Side||Large Cell - Open Both Sides|